The pottery of Wood & Sons Limited was founded in 1865 by Thomas Francis Wood in the Burslem area of Stoke on Trent in the Staffordshire Potteries. The company produced earthenware goods.
In 1889 Harry Wood (who inspired ceramic designers including Charlotte Rhead and Susie Cooper) joined the company. In 1912 Frederick Rhead (the father of Charlotte) Art Director, his daughter joining the company later in 1926. In 1920 the Crown Works Pottery was acquired and in 1921, the Ellgreave Works. Under the trade name of 'Bursley Ware' Art Deco pieces were produced, adopting the skills of eminent designers including Charlotte and Frederick Rhead, Dora Tennant and Susie Cooper.