In 1907 the business of Grays was established by Edward Gray, a pottery salesman in Manchester in England. The company moved in 1912 to Hanley, Stoke on Trent. A famous name associated with Grays between 1922 and 1929 is the designer Susie Cooper who attained the level of Art Director who produced lustre vases and developed designs using banding, floral imagery and strong geometric patterning.
In 1933 the business moved to bigger premises as manufacturing output increased to incorporate new ranges of items such as face masks, wall pockets, and animal fancies, a selection of which designed by Nancy Cato. After the death of Edward Gray in 1959, Portmeirion Potteries bought the company.